The Kootenay Rockies Tourism Regional Sustainability Charter and related action plan are the foundation for the Sustainable Tourism Programs offered to tourism businesses and organizations. In addition to providing direct benefits to businesses, these programs directly support the enhancements of the overall performance of the destination and the achievement of common strategic goals and targets.
Tourism businesses and Destination Management Organizations can enroll in the following programs.
The Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge is a commitment to improve the sustainability performance of your tourism business or destination between now and 2030.
Kootenay Rockies Tourism has signed the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge, to demonstrate our commitment to improving the sustainability of our region. We encourage stakeholders in our region to join us in this movement.
Stakeholders wishing to join us in signing the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge can satisfy both commitments required to be listed on the signatories page of the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge website:
1. Measure your sustainability performance each year between now and 2030
– Complete this intake form to gain access to your Sustainability Lens Assessment, which is an upgraded assessment being offered by Kootenay Rockies Tourism to stakeholders free of charge
2. Make and maintain a public commitment to improve your sustainability performance.
– This can be done based on your existing goals, and you can use your customized action plan and sustainability report from the results of your Sustainability Lens Assessment to help make a stronger public commitment. See examples of public commitments here.
SUSTAINABILITY LENS ASSESSMENT
Kootenay Rockies Tourism, in partnership with GreenStep Solutions Inc. is pleased to support stakeholders in the region to measure and improve their sustainability performance through the “Sustainable Tourism Lens” assessment:
- An online self-assessment of your business that provides rapid insight into how it is performing based in key areas: management, social, economic, culture, nature and environment, based on Global Sustainable Tourism Council-Recognized criteria.
- You will receive a sustainability scorecard, report and custom action plan based on your responses that allows you to see where you’re doing well and where you have an opportunity to improve your sustainability performance over time.
- It takes most businesses between one to two hours to complete the assessment.
Kootenay Rockies Tourism is offering the Sustainability Lens Assessment FREE of charge
for one year (valued at $99 plus tax) for the first 30 tourism stakeholders who reach out to us.
ECOBASE CARBON SOFTWARE & CARBON TRAINING WORKSHOP
One of the main actions in the Kootenay Rockies Tourism Sustainability Action Plan is to help businesses calculate their carbon emissions and offer tools in offsetting and reducing those emissions. Therefore, we are offering GreenStep’s carbon training program. This program provides participants with the key steps to measuring the carbon footprint of your business and then uncovering the opportunities to both reduce emissions and save money.
Kootenay Rockies Tourism is offering the EcoBase Carbon Software annual license FREE of charge (valued at $99 plus tax) for the first 30 tourism stakeholders who reach out to us.
In order to be eligible for this software, you must review the recording of the Greenstep introduction workshop ‘The Carbon Challenge’.
BUSINESS ENERGY ASSESSMENT
FortisBC and BC Hydro both have programs to provide complimentary energy assessments to small and medium sized businesses, with support for implementing energy saving measures and accessing available rebates/incentives to offset the costs of projects!
FortisBC assessments will be conducted in Nelson, Castlegar and Trail in April and May 2021 (dates TBC), or virtually for locations throughout BC. To book an appointment, please sign up via the FortisBC website . You must have an active utility account with FortisBC natural gas, electricity or Nelson Hydro.
BC Hydro assessments are conducted virtually with a BC Hydro Business Energy Advisor. To confirm eligibility and book a virtual assessment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Industry & Destination Development Specialist
Ph: 250-427-4838 Ext. 206